Imagine this: You’re on a road trip, and your beloved truck is laden with your essential gear, perhaps even some precious cargo, but the unpredictability of weather puts a damper on your peace of mind. Or, you’re a tradesman with a truck bed full of expensive tools, but every time you park your vehicle unattended, you fret about potential theft. The solution to these dilemmas? Truck Bed Cover Vs Toolbox.
In this blog post, we delve deep into the world of truck bed covers and toolboxes, comparing their benefits, drawbacks, and the key considerations you should make before purchasing. Do you need a cover to protect your cargo from inclement weather or prying eyes, or are you more concerned about organized, secure storage for your array of tools? Maybe, you are seeking a combination of both. This guide aims to answer all these questions, equipping you with the knowledge to make an informed decision that best suits your needs and lifestyle. Buckle up and join us on this journey as we navigate the essentials of adding a practical, secure extension to your truck bed.
- 1 The main features of some popular truck bed cover vs toolbox products
- 2 What exactly you should look for?
- 3 Comparing truck bed cover vs toolbox
- 4 The key takeaways from our comparison of Truck Bed Cover Vs Toolbox
- 5 Truck Bed Covers: Providing All-Around Protection
- 6 Toolboxes: Your Mobile Workshop
- 7 What equipment you may need to work with or install a truck bed cover vs toolbox?
- 8 Manufacturer websites
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
The main features of some popular truck bed cover vs toolbox products
|Extang Solid Fold 2.0||Truck Bed Cover||TPO (Thermoplastic Olefin)||Moderate||Easy, No tools required||$$$|
|UnderCover Flex||Truck Bed Cover||FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer)||High||Moderate, No drilling required||$$$|
|TruXedo TruXport Roll-Up||Truck Bed Cover||Vinyl||Moderate||Easy, No drilling required||$$|
|Better Built 73210285||Toolbox||Aluminum||High||Moderate, Drilling may be required||$$$|
|UWS TBS-63-A-LP-BLK||Toolbox||Aluminum||High||Moderate, Drilling may be required||$$$$|
|Dee Zee DZ6163N||Toolbox||Aluminum||High||Moderate, Drilling may be required||$$|
Extang Solid Fold 2.0: This cover provides excellent weather resistance thanks to its EnduraShield panels, featuring an automotive-grade polymer that doesn’t fade, rust, or dent. Its security is moderate with an integrated snap-on system.
UnderCover Flex: Made from FRP, this cover ensures high durability and excellent weather resistance. Its security feature includes a dual-action tailgate seal and easy clamp-on installation promoting convenience.
TruXedo TruXport Roll-Up: This is an affordable, easy-to-install soft roll-up truck bed cover. It offers good protection against weather and a moderate level of security.
Better Built 73210285: This toolbox offers a stylish design with good weather resistance. It is made from durable aluminum and provides high security with a locking system.
UWS TBS-63-A-LP-BLK: This product boasts excellent weather resistance thanks to its patented foam-filled lid. The toolbox offers high security with stainless steel lock handles and provides additional convenience with an easy-to-use sliding tray.
Dee Zee DZ6163N: This toolbox offers a sleek design with good weather resistance. It is also made from durable aluminum and provides high security with lockable paddle handles.
What exactly you should look for?
As a truck owner myself, I’ve found that there are a few distinct factors that set apart truck bed cover vs toolbox. Here’s a brief list:
- Usage: If you often carry large or bulky items, a truck bed cover might serve you better, providing the space and protection needed. However, if you frequently carry smaller items or tools that need organization, a toolbox is your go-to option.
- Security: Truck bed covers generally provide a moderate level of security, making them suitable for general cargo. On the other hand, toolboxes, especially those with secure locking systems, are excellent for storing valuable items or tools.
- Weather Resistance: Both options can provide good weather resistance, but hard truck bed covers usually have an edge, protecting your cargo against severe weather conditions.
- Aesthetics: This is subjective, but some people prefer the sleek look a truck bed cover can give to their vehicle. Toolboxes, while more utilitarian, can also contribute to a professional or rugged aesthetic.
From a personal perspective, choosing between a truck bed cover or a toolbox really depends on your individual needs and circumstances. For most common situations, I recommend considering the nature of the items you frequently transport. If they’re mostly larger items that need protection from weather and theft, a truck bed cover might be best. If they’re smaller, valuable items, especially tools that need to be kept organized, a toolbox would likely serve you better.
In any case, prioritize quality and durability in your chosen product. It’s also worth considering how easy the product is to install and remove, as this could impact your overall experience. Trust me, the convenience of an easy-to-use, reliable truck bed accessory can’t be overstated!
Comparing truck bed cover vs toolbox
As a truck owner who’s used both, here’s how I’d compare truck bed cover vs toolbox quantitatively in various performance categories:
- Space Utilization: Truck bed covers usually score higher, around 9/10 since they allow you to use the entire truck bed area. Toolboxes, on the other hand, consume a part of the bed space, which limits their score to around 7/10.
- Organization: Toolboxes excel in this category with a perfect 10/10 as they are designed with compartments for better organization of tools and small items. Truck bed covers score lower, around 5/10, as they mainly provide a large open space without compartments.
- Security: Both offer considerable security. However, toolboxes, particularly those with advanced locking systems, score slightly higher, around 9/10. Truck bed covers tend to vary more based on design, ranging from 7/10 for soft covers to 9/10 for hard, lockable covers.
- Weather Resistance: Hard truck bed covers generally outperform toolboxes here, scoring around 9/10 thanks to their seamless design and weather-resistant materials. Toolboxes can do a decent job, scoring around 7/10, but the contents might get wet in a severe storm due to potential gaps.
From a personal perspective, if I were to consider the balance between security, weather resistance, and space utilization, I’d lean more toward a truck bed cover for general cargo transport. They provide a seamless look and protect the entire bed area. However, if the organization is a priority, and I’m mainly carrying tools or small items, a toolbox is a clear winner. It keeps everything tidy, secure, and easy to access. Ultimately, your choice should depend on your specific needs and how you primarily use your truck.
The key takeaways from our comparison of Truck Bed Cover Vs Toolbox
- Material: The material used in a truck bed cover or toolbox determines its durability and weather resistance. Popular materials include TPO, FRP, and Aluminum.
- Weather Resistance: This is crucial for protecting your belongings from the elements. The Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and the UWS TBS-63-A-LP-BLK score high in this category.
- Security: This feature can vary. High-security models like the UnderCover Flex for truck bed covers and the UWS TBS-63-A-LP-BLK for toolboxes offer added peace of mind.
- Installation: Installation complexity ranges from easy, no-tools-required models like the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and TruXedo TruXport Roll-Up, to those that might require some drilling, like most toolboxes.
- Price Range: Depending on the features and the brand, the prices for these products can vary significantly. It’s essential to balance your budget with your requirements to make a wise purchase.
Remember, your choice between a truck bed cover vs toolbox should primarily depend on your specific needs: whether you want to prioritize security, storage organization, weather resistance, or a combination of these factors. The options are diverse, so take the time to research thoroughly before making your final decision.
Truck Bed Covers: Providing All-Around Protection
If you ask me, truck bed covers are a fantastic investment for any truck owner. They offer a protective layer over your cargo, defending against weather conditions and opportunistic thieves. If you’re like me, who sometimes have to leave your truck in public parking lots or on the roadside, the security that a truck bed cover provides is invaluable.
One of my favorite covers is the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. It’s got superb weather resistance, making it the perfect companion for those unpredictable weather days. The TPO material is incredibly durable and resistant to fading, denting, and rusting, so it can really take a beating and still look great.
However, it’s not without its downsides. While it does provide a level of security, it’s not as theft-deterrent as a toolbox with a lock. Also, if you’re the type who carries a lot of small, loose items, things can get a bit messy in the truck bed. There’s a lot of space, but not a lot of organization.
Toolboxes: Your Mobile Workshop
Now, when it comes to organization, you can’t beat a toolbox. These bad boys transform your truck bed into an on-the-go workshop. You can carry all sorts of tools, accessories, and parts without worrying about them rolling around the back of your truck. It’s an organizer’s dream.
Take the Better Built 73210285, for example. Its aluminum body offers excellent durability and the secure locking system keeps your tools safe and sound. And nothing beats the feeling of knowing exactly where your socket wrench is when you need it!
However, toolboxes are not without their flaws. They take up a significant amount of your truck bed space, which might be a dealbreaker if you transport large items regularly. Additionally, while they generally offer good weather resistance, during a particularly heavy downpour, your tools might get a little wet. And we all know how moisture and metal tools get along.
Both truck bed covers and toolboxes have their pros and cons. It all depends on your needs, your cargo, and how you use your truck. One thing’s for sure though, either of these additions will significantly upgrade your truck game. Choose wisely, and you’ll wonder how you ever managed without one!
What equipment you may need to work with or install a truck bed cover vs toolbox?
|Equipment||Purpose||Use with Truck Bed Cover||Use with Toolbox|
|Ratchet Set||For tightening bolts and nuts during installation||✔||✔|
|Screwdriver Set||For installing or removing screws||✔||✔|
|Drill||Used for drilling holes if necessary||Occasionally||Often|
|Tape Measure||For accurate measurements to ensure proper fit||✔||✔|
|Silicone Sealant||To improve weather resistance at edges and joints||✔||✔|
|Allen Wrench Set||Used for specific types of fasteners||Occasionally||Occasionally|
|Pry Bar||Can assist in removing old covers or toolboxes||Occasionally||Occasionally|
|Utility Knife||For opening packages and possibly trimming||Occasionally||Occasionally|
|Lubricant (WD-40)||For lubricating locks and hinges||Occasionally||✔|
|Protective Gloves||To protect your hands during installation||✔||✔|
|Safety Glasses||Protect your eyes during installation or while drilling||Occasionally||Often|
Please note that not all installations will require all of these tools. Check the instructions provided with your specific truck bed cover vs toolbox to ensure you have everything you need for a safe and successful installation.
If you’re serious about finding the right truck bed cover or toolbox, I recommend checking out these two manufacturer websites:
- WeatherTech: WeatherTech is renowned for its high-quality automotive accessories, and their truck bed covers are no exception. They offer a range of designs from roll-up to folding styles. Their site is user-friendly and the detailed product descriptions and customer reviews can be incredibly helpful in narrowing down your choice. Plus, they have a handy “Vehicle Fit Guide” to ensure your chosen cover fits your truck model. From my experience, their products have a great balance between durability and usability.
- UWS: If a toolbox is what you’re leaning toward, I suggest giving UWS a look. Their range of truck toolboxes is impressive, with various designs to cater to different needs. The website provides detailed specifications and features for each toolbox model. What I particularly appreciate about UWS is its commitment to security. Their toolboxes often come with advanced locking mechanisms that provide that extra peace of mind.
Before you commit to a purchase, spend some time browsing these sites. Read the product descriptions, compare different models, and pay attention to customer reviews. It’s worth the effort to ensure you’re getting a truck bed cover vs toolbox that perfectly suits your needs. Trust me, having the right accessories can make your truck-owning experience that much more enjoyable and efficient.
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
Are truck bed covers and toolboxes easy to install?
Most truck bed covers and toolboxes are designed for easy installation and often come with comprehensive instructions. Some models require no drilling and can be installed with basic tools. However, certain toolboxes might require drilling into the truck bed for secure installation.
Can I use both a truck bed cover and a toolbox on my truck?
Yes, you can use both a truck bed cover and a toolbox on your truck. Some manufacturers produce truck bed covers designed to work with a toolbox. However, the toolbox will reduce the usable space under the cover.
How do I ensure a truck bed cover vs toolbox fits my truck model?
Always check the product’s specifications and match them with your truck’s make, model, and year. Some manufacturers also provide a compatibility or fit guide.
How do I maintain a truck bed cover or toolbox?
Regular cleaning and periodic checks for any damage are crucial. Ensure locks and hinges on toolboxes are lubricated regularly. For bed covers, check the seals and replace them if worn out to maintain weather resistance.
Can a truck bed cover improve my truck’s fuel efficiency?
Some studies suggest that a truck bed cover can improve fuel efficiency by reducing air drag while driving. The actual improvement may vary based on driving habits and the truck model.